The newsletter of the Law Library Association of Greater New York
Balance Your Information Center Capacity Without Breaking the Bank
By Robyn Rebollo, Director of Client Services, LAC Group
As a former legal information services manager at a large law firm, my primary duty was finding a way to secure the optimal number of staff and suitable information services. Like other firm administrators who are adamant about improving the bottom line, I didn’t have an endless expense account to pay for...
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please address the specific requirements of the position in your cover letter.
Quicklink for application: https://careers.pace.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=54523
Pace Law Library 78 North Broadway White Plains, NY 10603
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP (including its associated entities) is a global law firm with more than 800 lawyers in offices in New York, Menlo Park, Washington DC, São Paulo, London, Paris, Madrid, Hong Kong, Beijing and Tokyo. For more than 160 years, the firm has advised industry-leading companies and global financial institutions on their most challenging legal and business matters. Our firm is ranked among the world’s preeminent law firms across the entire range of its practice and our lawyers are ranked in the top tier of their respective fields. Our non-legal professional staff share the same commitment to excellence and client service that has long been the hallmark of our firm.
Job & Educational Requirements: MLS from an ALA accredited school. Two to three years' minimum experience.
Contact Information & Application Instructions: Please send cover letter and resume to: Jackie Nunez Human Resources Manager Jackie.nunez@davispolk
Employer Statement: At Morrison & Foerster, our culture is defined by our deeds. We’re passionate about what we do. We’re equally passionate about how we do it. We resist hierarchies and operate within a model of respect — for our colleagues, their ideas, and the differences that make us stronger. We encourage you to learn more about who we are , and what we do . Should you find you’re ready to do the best work of your life, we encourage you to let us know!
Job Description: Morrison & Foerster LLP, an AmLaw 50 law firm with 17 offices worldwide, has an opening for a Research Analyst I within our Library Research Services Department in our New York office. The Opportunity Guided by department objectives and priorities, works as part of a firmwide team to provide substantive research expertise for client work and business development efforts. Participates on project teams. Ensures client service and satisfaction are attained in all areas of the position.
Job & Educational Requirements:
· Master’s degree in Library Science or Information Science or equivalent degree such as a J.D. or an M.B.A. strongly preferred plus a minimum of three years related experience, or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
· Substantive knowledge of the legal materials and databases used to support the Firm’s practice areas and research needs for client work and for business development efforts.
· Demonstrate strong research skills and a deep understanding of research strategies.
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to build effective internal and external client relationships.
· Strong analytical and research skills with the ability to analyze problems logically and methodically and to absorb and synthesize large amounts of data into practical intelligence. Have a strong intellectual curiosity and demonstrate the ability to probe deeply during the research process to identify and draw out insights.
· Strong writing skills and ability to exchange information and to present ideas, report facts and convey information clearly and concisely.
· Ability to effectively apply independent judgment.
· Strong motivation to apply skills and knowledge proactively.
· Ability to follow complex instructions with a high degree of accuracy.
· Ability to independently assess client needs and to develop responsive solutions.
· Ability to work collaboratively across departments and with all levels of personnel and to succeed in a teamwork environment.
· Strong planning and organizational skills, including demonstrated ability to manage workload effectively and meet all stated deadlines.
· Strong sense of urgency and professional dedication.
· Proficient in Word, Adobe Acrobat Professional, and PowerPoint. Strong Excel skills are a plus.
Job Reference Code (if applicable): 5500
Contact Information & Application Instructions: Apply online at http://careers.mofo.com/ This job is listed under Job ID 5500. Or apply directly by copying and pasting this link in your search engine: https://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc03/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=MOFO&cws=1&rid=5500
Job Description: The Research Services Assistant provides legal and business research and reference assistance to Research Librarians, Attorneys and Staff and reports to the Manager, Research and Training.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Provide reference, research and support to Research Librarians, Attorneys, and Staff;
· Provide administrative support to the Research and Training Manager and others as needed;
· Collaborate as necessary with the Research Services Librarian on projects;
· Assist in the dissemination and organization of information obtained in print and electronic resources/databases;
· Work beyond scheduled hours as required; and
· Handle additional related projects as assigned.
Job & Educational Requirements:
· Expert-level knowledge in English language skills, including punctuation, spelling, grammar, and writing skills;
· Advance proficiency in Microsoft;
· Fundamental knowledge of legal and business research resources employed by global law firms (preferred);
· At least 2 years of experience in a law library;
· Bachelor’s degree (preferred); and
· Currently enrolled in an advanced degree program (MLS, MLIS) in library science, library information science or related field (preferred).
Paul Hastings LLP is an equal employment and affirmative action employer F/M/Disability/Vet. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Contact Information & Application Instructions: Paul Hastings Career Services
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, citizenship, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or stalking.
• Responsible for researching and providing legal, corporate and reference information to attorneys, legal assistants and support staff in all practice areas of the Firm worldwide using print and on line resources. Supports research and Knowledge Management initiatives for Firm attorneys and staff across the globe.
• Provides cost effective research using print sources, databases and outside sources for attorneys and support staff.
• Develops information network within and outside the Firm.
• Keeps attorneys aware of new developments in their practice areas by creating alerts, practice area newsletters, etc. taillored to the Firm's needs
• Works with Knowledge Strategy Counsel to maintain, update and select content for practice area websites
• Educates attorneys about library resources through training and outreach programs
• Recommends new and beneficial information sources
• Develops research skills using on-line sources incorporating new technology
• Manages Firm resources responsibly.
• Knowledge of computer database systems including Lexis Advance, Westlaw Next, Bloomberg Law and CCH
• Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
• Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
• Demonstrates close attention to detail
• Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities in a demanding and fast-paced environment
• Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
• Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
• Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
Hours: Monday through Friday – 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Job & Educational Requirements:
Master's Degree in Library Science
Minimum of three years of experience conducting research in a legal setting, preferably in a law firm environment
Experience or educational background in Knowledge Management and the application of information technology to knowledge sharing highly preferred.
Contact information & Application Instructions:
To apply, send cover letter with subject line "Reference Librarian" along with resume and salary history to Jennifer.Castillo@skadden.com.
The Manager-Reference is responsible for managing a staff of Reference Librarians and for responding to requests from lawyers and other staff for general, legal, and company information.
We offer a congenial work environment, competitive salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package. Qualified and interested candidates may apply by clicking on the link: http://stblaw.balancetrak.com/ManagerReference082015001